23 Dec End of year News and Merry Christmas
Hello Advocates, Business Members and Friends,
Welcome to our last 2017 newsletter with a summary of our 28 November Annual Summit and Slush side-event “Growing the Nordics/Baltics into a Global Tech/Startup Hub” in Helsinki; the official launch of Global Tech Advocates in London; latest from business members, 2018 event calendar and more.
Our Annual Summit and Slush side-event: “Growing the Nordics/Baltics into a Global Tech/Startup Hub”, 28 Nov, Helsinki
Thank you to all who made it to Helsinki a few days before Slush to attend our Annual Summit, to Voitto Kangas, CEO, and team at Maria 0-1 for hosting us, to speakers and session leaders and to all on the above image for sponsoring and supporting the Summit. We couldn’t have done it without you!.
- Following our Founder’s and Maria 0-1 (host’)s Welcome, Bo de Koning, Director of Public Policy, from Summit sponsor Airbnb shared Airbnb’s journey; the importance of building trust, enabling Airbnb to achieve 200 million+ guest arrivals across 65,000+ cities in 191+ countries to date. Impressive!
- We then heard Neil Murray, Editor of The Nordic Web share his perspectives on The State of the Nordic Tech Ecosystem:
• Investment growth is slow but steady
• The ecosystem is maturing
• Investments are being made all over the Nordics, although:
• Still funding gaps
• The Nordics are now one of Europe’s best performing hubs for exits
• The world’s biggest tech companies love shopping Nordics
• Access to talent is critical success factor in the Nordics
- Our Founder then shared TNA’s Vision to become “the leading driving force and de facto platform for tech/startup innovation and growth in the Nordics/Baltics” and Mission “to grow the Nordics/Baltics into a leading global tech/startup hub”
- How we have built a network of over 700 Advocates and a home in the leading startup hubs in all 5 Nordic and 3 Baltic countries; launched and progressed collaboration across key verticals, including Fintech, Health Tech, Smart City, IOT/AI, Tech Talent and more (see Working Groups below); supported and promoted startups, startup ecosystem-, cross-border collaboration and our business members across the region; hosted 3 Summits in Copenhagen, Stockholm and Helsinki; Promoted the Nordics and Baltics to other global tech hubs via our Global Tech Advocates network and much more
- We then heard the exciting news from our Working Groups:
• That our FinTech working group has now launched its pan-Nordic/Baltic networking collaboration platform, and that Stockholm Fintech Hub and Helsinki FinTech Farm are leading the way in lifting Nordic Fintech to a higher level with the launch of Nordic Fintech Hub. Watch this space for more1
• We heard from Jens Andersen, Health Tech Working Group, Chair, how Health Tech too, have launched its pan-Nordic/Baltic networking and collaboration platform, expanding collaboration with Nordic/Baltic health tech clusters and embarking on new ‘Preventive Care’ projects for attracting Start-ups and Municipalities
• We heard about the Nordic launch of the Smart City/IOT working group’s launch of “SmarterCitiesNOW”, the first of a kind pan-Nordic/Baltic and Nordic/UK sustainable urban development project, 11-12 October in Copenhagen, sponsored by the Capital Region of Denmark, Loop City, Bloxhub, Zumtobel Group, Dong Energy (now Ørsted), Copenhagen Capacity and many others and subsequent launch of the pan-Nordic/Baltic #SmarterCitiesNOW collaboration platform
• From Tech Talent about its plans for a Nordic mentoring programme
• We were delighted to invite as guest speaker, Sue Nelson, Chair of Tech London Advocates’ Food Tech working Group and author of brand new book Food Tech UK to support the launch of Tech Nordic Advocates brand new Food Tech working group, led by Frank Lantz, Founder and CEO of TastePlease and others tba soon.
- Toby Hopkin, Partner and Patent Attorney of J A Kemp, said “be prepared to invest in
#IP . Cost attached but not investing in doing it right may be more expensive”
- Paul Gillespie of tech exec search firm Gillamor Stephens said, “Getting the right
#CEO in place is critical. Support any gaps by beefing up #management“
- Pete Moore of go-to debt/equity crowdfunding platform Invesdor said
#debt & #equity #crowdfunding is growing massively and making #history in #nordics
- Alexander Goodwille, CEO of Goodwille Ltd. which helps Nordic/Baltic companies grow their businesses in the UK stressed the importance of focusing on core business
- Julian Persuad, global ops director of Summit sponsor Airbnb chaired a fascinating and lively debate about scaling and growing businesses, reflecting on Airbnb’s own experience, supported by a keynote panel of the leaders from the leading Nordic and Baltic startup hubs
- Dmitri Sarle, CEO, ArcticStartup & Arctic15, reflected on what growth is and the importance of the Nordics/Baltics carving out its own global tech hub identity and ways of doing things, rather than simply trying to become a Nordic/Baltic Silicon Valley.
- Russ Shaw, Founder of Tech London Advocates and Global Tech Advocates shared his vision for the network and the role of Tech Nordic Advocates as a global tech hub within it
- Jeanette Carlsson, Founder and Chair of Tech Nordic Advocates, closed the Summit by sharing her ambition to grow TNA to 1,000 Advocates in the next 1-2 years, and deliver TNA’s stated Vision and Mission (see above), through widening and deepening of our network, ecosystem and cross-border collaboration, expansion of business members and growing role of TNA within Global Tech Advocates
Photos from the Summit
Check out all the photos from the Summit here
Videos from the Summit
Please find the video links below: http://bit.ly/2C1BedO
Check out Startup Digest promotion of the Summit
Computer Weekly’s article: “Tech Nordic Advocates brings Cross-Border Collaboration to Helsinki” coverage of the Summit, and
Stay tuned for The Next Silicon Valley’s write-up of the Summit
Thank you to all who responded to our request for feedback which has been super good with am average score of 4 out of 5. Key verbatim comments include:
– It was great meeting you and thanks for being a brilliant host. Also appreciate the feedback. Look forward to staying in touch!Suggested development points/next steps
– “Keep building on the pan Nordic concept…there is power in strength and rather than 7 or 8 countries, a one region approach is much better”
– “More networking events”
– “Networking and visibility”
– “More networking breaks”
Launch of Global Tech Advocates “The Tech World Tour”, 16 November, London
On 16 November, Tech Nordic Advocates featured prominently at the launch of Global Tech Advocates at Here East at the Stratford Olympic Stadium in London to an audience of 800 tech leaders from around the world. Here’s our Founder on stage placing Tech Nordic Advocates and the Nordics & Baltics firmly on the global tech hub map
Slush, 30 Nov to 1 Dec 2017, Helsinki
As many others, we attended Slush and many super interesting side-events, strengthening our in-region collaboration further, including with super impressive and fast moving Latvia. Really looking forward to our planned 2018 collaboration.
First up is Tech Chill, 8-9 February, Riga, Latvia
Come join the leading tech event in the Baltics that brings together founders, entrepreneurs, challengers and curious minds. For tickets, email: email@example.com.
Other events, see Event page on the TNA website, TNA Twitter, Facebook and Linkedin and the January newsletter for our exciting 2018 event calendar, which is constantly updated and expanded
Latest from the Working Groups
See above. Unable to attend the #Nordic #SmarterCitiesNOW launch 11-12 Oct in Copenhagen but keen to knowledge share, discuss what works/doesn’t with peers, find customers/partners or promote your solution to the only pan-Nordic/Baltic/UK smart city/sustainable urban collaboration network around, then hurry up and join the #SmarterCitiesNOW networking and collaboration HUB. Sign up here.
If you would like to join the TNA Health Tech Working Group and the Health Tech Working Group Community Platform, to connect with other Working Group members and collaboration initiatives, please signup here.
DON’T FORGET – If you’re already a Health Tech Working Group member, you should already have access to the Health Tech Working Group Community Platform. Please accept the email sent to you. For any queries contact the Secretariat.
We were excited to launch the new Food Tech Working Group at our 28 Nov Annual Summit . To connect with other Working Group members on the Food Tech collaboration hub please signup here. Stay tuned for more exciting news and plans in the next newsletter
To signup for our FinTech collaboration hub please click here. Stay tuned for exciting announcements in January.
News from Existing Business Members
Invesdor would like to share the latest news from their blog see below:
Goodwille help Nordic businesses successfully expand to the UK. With 20 years of experience launching businesses in the UK and an international team with expertise in the Nordic business environment, we offer special advice and support to ensure your business can establish and flourish in the UK.
We are proud business partners to TNA, and are delighted to have renewed the partnership to continue being part of this fantastic network. Being a member of TNA allows us to actively promote Nordic Tech, meet likeminded organisations and exciting startups, and in November we attended and exhibited at Tech World Tour in London, organised by Tech London Advocates. A very successful event addressing the importance of global tech networks and initiatives. Thank you TNA for the invitation – we’re proud to promote Nordic Tech on the London startup scene together with you!
And last but not least – what a great time we had at Slush and the TNA Summit! While Slush was all about meeting lots of people and listening to great speeches, for the TNA Summit we participated in a panel discussion that allowed for a more intimate interaction with local startups and entrepreneurs. Energising discussions on new exciting ideas were mixed with thoughts on Brexit, and for those who weren’t there to listen to our CEO Alexander Goodwille’s advise – don’t let Brexit hold you back from pursuing your dream. Britain will always be open for business.
Are you thinking about expanding to the UK? Read more about how we can help your business successfully launch in the UK on goodwille.com.
J A Kemp have launched a new website full of useful information about protecting your intellectual property. The main site can be found at www.jakemp.com. Startups and growing businesses may find this section helpful. As always if you would like any specific advice contact Toby Hopkin.
Gillamor Stephens: Expansion into Asia can be the key to the successful growth and we have strengthened our ability to support our clients entering or expanding in Asia through Ethos BeathChapman (EBC) www.ethosbc.com joining our global partnership.
First established in Sydney in 2005, Ethos BeathChapman has offices in Australia, Singapore, Hong Kong and Japan. With more than 100 employees EBC services specific job functions and market sectors across 15 countries within Asia Pacific. EBC has successfully helped firms like Thomson Reuters, Amazon Web Services, Deloitte, Proofpoint and Alibaba build out their teams. Please let me know if I may make an introduction to Matt Beath, CEO, and his team as you think about what Asia means for your business. pgillespie@gillamorstephens.
TNA Media Partner – The Nordic Web
The Nordic Web offers exclusive, original, data-driven insight on the Nordic startup scene. See the TNA Blog for the latest newsletter.
Access to our Global Tech Advocates network
As ever, if you haven’t already done so, register here to join Profinda – your gateway to our Global Tech Advocates family.
Help us grow further by recommending your tech leader friends to: info@technordicadvocates.
If you have ‘fallen over’ our newsletter and would like to subscribe, email the Secretariat
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you all and stay tuned for more exciting news and plans in January!